Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.


There's a coup going on in this blog. A regime change is highly probable.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Canteen Chronicles- II

9:30 am> for the past 14 minutes my visual and auditory senses were drowned in the tumultuousness of the canteen. There’s something in the ambience that makes even the introvert explore his/her loquacious facet.

As of then the canteen could be demarcated into 4 distinct zones with the first zone, the first two tables on the right where the sophomores were seated; the second zone would be the middle rows on the left where the third year guys were sitting in a sprawling, easy posture and were adding to the decibels in the canteen unlike their immediate juniors who were a li’l mindful of their surrounding. As for the third, it had a lulu with two of her worshippers who were incessantly fawning over her. The whole scenario looked so obnoxious that I retired from observing others. This brought me back to the zone where I sat alone without any batchmate around to give me company. The fact that the freshers were still barred from availing the convenience of this canteen was conspicuous by their absence; though ragging is a thing of the past, the interaction with the 1st year was rare.

9:35 am> and God smiled at me…a face that looked familiar…in fact the very “MBA girl” who was driving me daft after that out-of-the-window encounter (must have mentioned that in an earlier post). A sudden surge of hormones almost had me walk up to her when I spotted a beefy guy by her side and quite predictably, I chickened out…she came to the counter, bought a drink and left without even so much as a glance at my corner. It later occurred to me that the noise in the canteen had dipped while she was around with the guys gawking at her and the gal in 3rd zone had a tough time keeping her devotees devoted to her. It was a guy-thing after all to get a high in the presence of such stunner, I concluded.

9:40 am> was seriously considering hitting the gym…if it takes brawn to win over that girl, so be it.

9: 45 am> a group of third year departmental juniors came over to my table demanding a treat for the job I had secured in the recent placements. I meekly agreed requesting them to keep the treat low-keyed.

9:50 am> “Low key???” six juniors…180 bucks…30 bucks each…not much you would say…but that was a massive blow to my wallet which was plundered a week ago…to put it into perspective here’s the figure…5000 bucks (After that even a munch looks usurious).

10:00 am> left the canteen with just twenty bucks to get my sorry ass home…the disappointment now looked well-rounded;

Academic (no class), 4th dimensional* (the time wasted), emotional (that MBA chick) & financial (I had to skip my coke for the next three days till I found some generous souls to treat me to it).

*The fourth dimension in space was interpreted as time, but this is no longer done in modern physics.

1 comment:

Abhishek said...

...so sad