Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.


There's a coup going on in this blog. A regime change is highly probable.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The First Gate


Every morning I get off the bus with my eyes on the first gate entrance to our university wondering, "What is it that takes me past those iron gates into a dominion where my spirit involuntarily gets itself chained for the better half of the day?"…can’t help murmuring, “What a waste!!” I feel rapidly sucked into the daily monotony of academics.
Yeah, you may call this a hackneyed lamenting but that’show it is. Did you say why not bunk? Well, haven’t got the balls to skip classes at will…call it the fear of authorities if you want to but I have seen so many fallen dudes who were kicked out of the session for want of attendance and their pleas for pardon got lost in the red tape of our alma mater. For PESU Zhibpur, its infrastructure/academics is the best and its bureaucracy the worst.

On a not-so-introspective day, I approach the gate with the resolve of taking "adversities" in stride, of being at the helm of things, of milking the most out of the 9 hours spent in the cam...“Crap!!” a dollop of bird-poop lands on my body…after that the rest of the day passes smoothly swearing/cussing at one and all. Have you ever wondered why bird poop is white?? not that I've a problem with it…just curious…gotta check it out on Google

Come to think of it, for BEings "First Gate" is not just an entrance. To define it loosely, lets say it's a student's utopia but that's so long as you are beyond university premises. It ain't just a cast iron gate, even the adjoining entities fall under the same header. Half a dozen dhabas, UBI (Usually Broke and Impaired) and ICICI ATM, Sanjay Da’s grocery, cyber cafes, medicos, saloons etc. burst into life after class-hours, teeming with professors, staff and students. You will find that time flies in these places as you are pulled into impromptu conversations, chatting with the locals, “bird-watching”…that’s the only time when I find my day worthwhile.

With a slight personification, this gate has witnessed hunger strikes, students beating each other to pulp, media briefing, campaign, sim card vendors, banners, water logging, visiting President & dignitaries and so much more...it is integral to the history of this Institution, an "old stager"... yet, from what I perceive, it’s nothing but an iron contraption through which I find myself entering everyday with a heavy heart and my heart skipping a beat (out of exhilaration, of course) while exiting.

Hmmn…Mr. First Gate …there you are, lookin so impeccant with that angelic white paint and a tree flanked walk beyond, so knavishly cloaking those hideous buildings wherein life’s such a drag…

No comments: